Sunday, July 17, 2011

It's pronounced Keen-Wah

In my quest to eat the food I actually have in my fridge/freezer and cupboards instead of just stuffing them full of more food, today I made a Fridge Raider Special salad. I had made a batch of Quinoa (Keen-wah) which is a grain you can use in place of rice or couscous. It's an ancient grain that is very high in protein and it tastes good too. Well...that's not strictly true. It's crucial to rinse the grains well in cold water before cooking to rinse off the bitter coating. I have a foodie friend who hates quinoa as her one and only experience, in my opinion, was unrinsed before cooking. Still, she won't try it again. I happen to love it and it's very quick and easy to cook with a ratio of 2:1 of water to quinoa, just like rice. Bring it to a boil then reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 10-15 mins til water is absorbed.
I also had in my fridge some fresh basil, some pureed mango left over from sushi night and some organic turkey smokie sausages. I try not to eat too much in the way of processed meats and sausages due to the nitrates/nitrites and additives and preservatives but McLeans make it on to my thumbs up list. They are also very lean as they are made from turkey. I buy them at Save on Foods and have seen them at a few other grocers too. They are a little more expensive than regular sausages so I only buy them once in a while.

Mango Turkey Sausage Quinoa Salad
1 cooked and chilled turkey sausage, sliced (Mcleans are already cooked)
handful spinach, torn
2 tbsp mango puree
handful basil, roughly chopped
1/2 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
juice of 1/2 lime or lemon

Mix it all together and serve!

I was pretty happy with this summery, light salad that took 1 minute to assemble and about 2 minutes to eat. Healthy, whole, filling and convenient all at the same time. I imagine that cilantro would also work well with the mango in place of basil and you could add nuts, avocado, seeds and other chopped veggies to boost flavour and general healthiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment