Saturday, July 9, 2011

A minor inconvenience


So, I guess I tempted fate by detailing my strenuous fitness schedule in my last post and have since suffered an injury that has sidelined me from all physical activity and is preventing me from going to work until at least July 16th when I next see my doctor for re-assessment. I sustained the injury while at a concert on Tuesday last week with PB. I was at the front, enjoying the great view and soaking up the energy of the live music when I got slammed hard into the metal bar on the barrier in front of me, just below my collar bone. As I had neglected to wear my body armour that night, it winded me and caused a lot of pain. Not a whole lot of protection just under the collar bone for this kind of impact. I shook it off though and adrenalin kicked in masking the pain. The next morning, I woke up,reviewed the night in my head and then realised I couldn't move an inch to get out of bed without intense chest pain. Major panic! I suspected a fractured rib or sternum which could be confirmed by X-ray but first I had to get to the hospital. Luckily PB was next to me and by painful trial and error we managed to get me to a standing position so I could get out to the car.
2 sets of x rays, a cocktail of painkillers and three and a half hours later, I was discharged with a diagnosis of sternum and chest wall bruising. Prescription in hand for more painkillers and a prognosis of it getting worse before getting better with a slow recovery, I was outta there with a glum face and a lot of wincing. This also happened to be the day PB and I were moving house. Without movers. Great combo. Luckily PB is very capable of doing lots of physical labour and I am very skilled at watching.
So 10 days has passed and I am still doing nothing beyond sitting, walking and a lot of talking/emailing/resting. At least another week off work, maybe more. I'm not allowed to return until I can do my job as gym manager and personal trainer. Might be a while....boo hoo.
However, one of the upsides of the time off is lots of time to sort out my pile of disorganised recipes, time to bake (although I need people to take me to the shops as I can't carry heavy stuff or drive myself there) and time to update the blog with a lot of overdue posts for yummy recipes I have made in recent months. I'm planning at least one post per day so get ready for an onslaught.
today's recipe is a quickie, courtesy of one of my staff at work,we'll call him Big J because he's a tall guy and his name starts with J. Original.
He found this recipe and modified it and I have modified it a little further.

No-Bake Granola Bars

1 Ripe Banana (mashed)
1 ½ cups Oats
½ cup Shredded Coconut (I used sweetened)
½ cup Raisins (or date chunks, cranberries, craisins, dried cherries/mangoes/apricots/etc. Any dried fruit will work)
1/3 cup Maple Syrup (add more for more sweetness)
½ cup Peanut Butter, 100% natural is best (or any nut butter, i.e. almond, pecan, cashew, etc.)

Stir all ingredients together and press down into a baking dish or pan so it is about 1 inch deep. Freeze for an hour or two and then cut in to shapes.

I also added 1/4 cup chia seeds, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup hemp seeds (to boost the protein content.

These are yummy, filling and satisfying. I especially love finding a big chunk of peanut butter. I didn't put the coconut in as dried coconut, unless organic, has sulphites in it which I am sensitive to. They are in lots of things but dried fruit is exceptionally high and results in me looking like I am about to give birth i.e. balloon stomach which is not such a good look.
Coming soon....more no bake desserts, a refreshing summer supper and hopefully retention of my sanity as I move into 2 weeks with no exercise or work. Thank goodness I can still cook and bake. If you come and visit, I guarantee I will feed you well!

No comments:

Post a Comment