Friday, June 4, 2010

Mexican Munchies

so I missed a few days of posting....oops. I didn't have time but really there was not much to write as I didn't cook much, due to being so busy!

I did make one of my favourite easy dishes that I want to report on. The recipe is for Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas ( from Cooking Light Magazine) although I just made the filling and served that with rice but the quesadillas are excellent. Here is the recipe:

1 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup salsa
1/2-2 tsp cumin depending on your taste
1 can black beans, undrained
1 4 oz pack goat cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup minced cilantro
8 flour tortillas
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
1/2 cup salsa for serving

Heat olive oil in skillet and add onion and garlic. Saute 3 mins. Stir in salsa, cumin and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins or until thick. Remove from heat. Mash the bean mixture slightly and stir in goat cheese and cilantro. Spread bean mixture evenly over 1/2 of each tortilla and fold over. place on baking sheet and broil for a couple of minutes per side until browned and crisped.
Cut into thirds or quarters and served with salsa and sour cream.


I made a couple of modifications on the recipe and made the bean mixture but added chopped bell peppers for extra vegetables. I didn't mash the mixture but served it over rice. It's also good in tacos or over tortilla chips, nacho style. Very simple recipe with big taste. Everyone I make it for loves it :-)

I have a hectic weekend coming up so may not post for a couple more days. Have no idea if anyone is reading this but if you are, I appreciate your patience! Oh one more thing...I'm trying not to eat chocolate for a week. So far I have managed one day, sort of. I did eat 1 chocolate chip and then stopped myself so that doesn't count, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment