Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The thighs have it.


For some reason it has taken me a really long time to post this recipe for lemon chicken which is one of my absolute faves. I love making it because there are several steps involved so I always feel like I am really cooking and it's one of those recipes when you can live the cliche of drinking a glass of wine as you cook, because there is wine in the recipe, so of course, the rest of the bottle must not go unwasted and the first pour should always be into your wine glass and not into the food. Secondly, it's an absolutely dee-lish-ous recipe. I cook it at least once a week and have cooked it for friends who all wanted the recipe and mmm'd a lot while devouring it. The chicken literally has a velvety texture and you will want more and more of it. I am salivating right now thinking about it and am making it tonight. Thirdly, it reminds me of a great day of fun at a cooking class (where I got the recipe from) that PB bought as a gift for me last year. Click here to read all about it in a older post. Finally, it was the first meal we cooked in our new kitchen. The first meal was ate was pizza and beer the day we got the keys but that is mandatory and we didn't actually cook as we had nothing in the house to cook, cook with or eat with. The picture above is of a time when I cooked it in the rental apartment. The pic at the end of the post is of the first meal we ate in our new home.

Lemon-licious chicken thighs (serves 3-4)

6-8 small boneless skinless chicken thighs
juice of 2-3 lemons
handful white or wholewheat flour
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp butter
100 ml white wine (this is optional, you can make it without. There is enough liquid from the lemons for the dish to work)

Pre heat oven to 375F.
Pound out the chicken thighs with a meat mallet until about 0.5-1cm thick. I don't have a meat mallet so I improvise and use a rolling pin wrapped in cling wrap.
mix the oregano and salt and pepper with the flour and put on a plate for dredging.
Dredge Chicken thighs in flour mix
Heat butter and olive oil over medium high heat in heavy based frying pan.
Add chicken thighs, 2-3 at a time to pan and fry on both sides until browned but not cooked through.
Place browned thighs in an ovenproof dish and pour over wine. Top up your wine glass also. Squeeze juice of lemons over top and cover dish with foil.
Bake for 15-20 mins until chicken is cooked.
Serve with steamed veggies and remainder of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment