Thursday, December 29, 2011

Powder Power

I have recently discovered the joys and benefits of using onion powder and garlic powder. In the past I had been aware of them but I absolutely love the real deal when it comes to these 2 kitchen staples.
I think I originally bought them for a chilli recipe and then didn't use them much but then I made some mashed cauliflower (as a lower starch alternative to potato) and I had read a suggestion in a book to use the powders for extra flavour. Turns out, they make things taste pretty good! Since then I have used them with success in a few different ways and they have the advantage of great flavour, no mess, zero prep time and make for a really smooth texture. Here are my fave things to use them for so far:

  • Coating for breakfast potatoes. Parboil halved baby potatoes and then pan fry in canola oil over med.low heat for 20 mins until browned and cooked through. When cooked, toss with 1 tsp of onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt, pepper and dried rosemary.
  • Extra quick guacamole (or use as a spread alternative to mayo or butter in sandwiches or burger buns). Mash up an avocado until smooth. Add 1-2 tsp onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, a squeeze of lime and a splash of hot sauce.
  • Mashed potato (or cauliflower). Add onion and garlic powder to mashed potato/cauliflower along with butter or olive oil and some of the leftover potato water. If you wish, add some milk or cream.
  • Add to chilli
  • Add to homemade beef burger mix
  • Add to homemade dry spice rubs

I also have used dehydrated onion in place of the onion powder. This is a little coarser in texture but again gives a rich onion flavour. I recommend buying organic dried onion/onion powder or garlic powder as sometimes the non-organic version can have other things in them to stabilise them. Or just check the ingredient list before buying. Another bonus is that these seasonings add lots of flavour but are low in sodium.

I have read that you can make your own garlic powder so that is going on my "to do" list along with lots of other things including dehydrating apple rings and making my own Kombucha.

If you've never tried garlic or onion powder, and swear by the real thing, I challenge you to try it out...and report back!


No comments:

Post a Comment