Sunday, June 5, 2011

My name is Sally and I am addicted to sushi

I love sushi. I love raw salmon and tuna. Yes I do! If you had asked me that 10 years ago I probably would have said you were out of your mind. Why would I eat raw fish....gross! Anyway, then I move to Vancouver aka sushi central and gradually worked up the courage to try some and.......guess who likes raw fish! For those of you who are at the stage I was at 10 years ago, don't fear, you can still enjoy sushi without eating raw fish. There are many rolls with vegetables and cooked fish or other proteins. Among my faves are Yam Roll, Avocado Roll and Gomae(a steamed spinach sesame dish). I do encourage you to be brave and try the raw fish though. It's so clean tasting and very good for you and who knows, it might just become one of you favourite foods as it has for me.
I have occasionally made my own sushi, mostly avocado rolls or vegetable rolls but I would like to make my own sashimi too. Sashimi is the name for pieces of raw fish, no rice. Whenever I buy sushi, I get salmon and tuna sashimi but it's very pricey, usually $10 for 6 small pieces...nowhere near enough for an addict like me. If I want to actually sustain myself, I have to buy a roll or two also and the bill quickly hits $20. I love my sashimi though, so I choose to have sushi less often but I have what I want when I order it. I have sourced out a couple of places to buy sashimi grade tuna and salmon. One is a japanese deli near my house. They sell frozen packages of sashimi shaped ready for cutting in to sashimi sized slices. For about $8 I can get 10 slices out of a piece. I also went to a fishmongers at Lonsdale Quay and asked if their salmon was sashimi grade. She said all their salmon was but you have to freeze it for 24 hours before consuming if it has not been previously frozen. This is to kill any parasites. Don't be put off.
Last week, I made myself the scrummiest sashimi salad with fresh Ahi Tuna. so simple to make and so delicious to eat.

1/2 avocado, sliced
1/2 mango, sliced
3 oz sashimi grade ahi tuna, sliced
fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil

layer the avocado, mango and tuna as you wish and sprinkle with cilantro.
Mix tamari and sesame oil together to make a dressing and drizzle over salad.
Eat with Chopsticks.

You don't have to eat with chopsticks. I just find they force me to slow down and savour the flavours of my creation instead of inhaling it in one breath.

1 comment:

  1. I love that recipe for sashimi salad! Maybe one day I'll try it :)

    ReplyDelete