Monday, March 26, 2012

Apple-icious


Sorry the other "Apple" groupies.... no, this post is not about the new iPad. No, I did not camp out for 4 nights to be first in line for it. This apple adventure was way less time consuming, a lot more fun, a whole lot cheaper and you can eat it. Homemade apple rings/chips have been on my foodie "to do" list for some time. Why I have not gotten round to this recipe I don't know and cannot come up with a reasonable excuse. Does something with one ingredient even constitute a recipe? Anyway, I tried making these from a sole survivor apple that had been languishing in the crisper for probably a few days too long but was still useable in some way...I was 75% certain. Now was as good a time as any to attempt the baked apple rings.
You need a good 2 hour window of time to make these as they bake low and slow. I'd like to try making a batch with several different apples next time and do a taste test. I *think* this apple was an Ambrosia but who knows. I sliced it various thicknesses with some paper thin and some a little thicker.
I laid them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put them in the 275F pre-heated oven for 90 mins.
They turned out okay for the first try. The thin ones were borderline burnt but very crispy but my favourites were the ones that were still a bit soft and chewy. They were the ones that were 2-3 mm in thickness when slicing. The best tasting one was 2nd from the right in the middle row.
I'm wondering if sprinkling them with cinnamon and nutmeg would be good and if some kind of liquid glaze would help too, although they were a great snack sans sprinkles. Guess I'm going to have to plan an apple-a-thon and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment